Saturday, April 15, 2023

FNWF Update and Today's Shenagins



 Last night Friday Night with Friends was held, though a week later as last week was Good Friday.  I actually started earlier as had a few things I was doing.  

One was knitting this shawl and I have only got one section left to do and it it finished.  It is not perfect, but no one will ever know where, as an easy fixed.




I also worked on a set of pot mitts.  I had started these a few weeks ago and then run out of cotton on my bobbin and even better none on the reel. So I ordered some in and finally got to sit down and finish the quilting and cut out and now just awaiting on some bias binding to be made or bought.  I have an idea on what I want, but not the material colour in my "small" stash.  However I have seen premade in what I want.  I will ponder on it more.










Yes I was busy, as I also made some Golden Kiwifruit jam last night.  We have a glut in the house hold as I had someone gave me a large bag and then someone gave my hubby a large bag too.  I gave a lot of mine away, however amongst eating the ones that are nice and ripe we still had so much.  Was an easy recipe and so yummy.




While the jam was cooking I prepped some pickled onions and will be bottle them up later today.   I use all sorts of recipes as I like the variety and this batch is going to be a sweet pickled onion.




So a very busy afternoon and night yesterday.

Today was also busy as I had three things on together at the same time.  First was a Nurses national NZNO nurses rally as we are calling on better staffing and better pay.  

Did you know since August 2022, 5000 NZ nurses have registered to work in Australia as it is so bad here.  I don't think it is going to get better here any time soon unless something happens drastically.  Unfortunately it is also a worldwide problem.  Anyway we can only but try.








I also had to go to Pet Space's (formerly Harry and Sam's Dog grooming) grand opening and I went not once but twice.  The first was on the way to the rally above, where I bought Snowy a smart looking lead, collar and harness, but then I went back as I had to take him along to have a look and to exchange his harness as the first one was too big.







Finally the best thing of the day was going to the Janome demonstration being held here in Gisborne.  My Janome is now about 10 years old and I still love it, but looking at new ones is nice too.




When I say looking that is all I was doing.  Yes looking, and guess what I have ordered?




Yes I was looking and I went not to buy a sewing machine, but I could not resist.  Now the wait for it to arrive.























13 comments:

  1. Hi Michell ,well done with your beautiful work.,your puppy is so cute 🌹🤍🌹

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour of your shawl. Pretty fabrics on your oven mitts. The jam looks delish. Funny about the machine. I love my Janome & it is around 10 years old & still going strong & i have been tempted to get an new one but so far haven't made it to the shop( i've been looking online). :) Have fun with your new one when it arrives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really thinking of buying a machine until very recently, like last week and the timing with the demonstration fit in nicely

      Delete
  3. Nice work on the shawl. Great fabric choice for your oven mitts. I am also just "looking" at machines. Will be interested to hear what you think about your new toy and what "bells and whistles" it comes with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be interested to watch the progress of your shawl - what pattern is it? I have a shawl on my list for the months ahead! And you've reminded me I need to make some new pot holders- always difficult finding the right thickness that is also "burn proof". I'm a nurse also but work in the community section and even there we are dealing with staff shortages ect ect ...... nice new purchase - guess that means another few shifts needed lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. The pattern is called "The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief" and is a free pattern I found on Ravelry.

      Delete
  5. Go nurses!!! I hope they listen to your demands...they need to if they want good health care. We have the same problem here in the states.
    You were busy for sure! My grands love kiwi's but I have never made jam with them. I bet it is delicious!
    I love the yarn you're using on your shawl...very pretty. Those oven mitts are too cute! I made some felted wool ones that I knit and they have lasted me probably more than 10 years already. I should make another pair but yours are much prettier.
    Your dog is so cute! I've always had at least 2 dogs all my life but my last 2 passed away and I am getting old so I won't be having anymore. I sure miss them though!
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visitng my blog. It is going to be a long way till they listen. We are meeting nationally in the next few weeks for a "where to from here?" and I think striking is on the books for many.

      Delete
  6. You've been busy... love the yarn in the shawl...so pretty...
    ANd a great idea for the oven mits... thanks for joining in FNwF...xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I enjoy being back and blogging. The new laptop has helped as my old one was very slow so only used it if I had too

      Delete
  7. Just catching up on post reading Michele. Firstly thank you for visiting me and leaving your comment.
    Your shawl is growing nicely and cute oven mitts you'er making too,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy being back blogging and reading what people are too.

      Delete

I love to read your fab comments.